Tuesday 7 May 2024

What a publisher looks for

 Beyond my reach

A couple of nights ago, during a bad night, I was thinking of a question I was asked many times when I was a writer, could you write a novel
The answer to the question was a challenge for me for many years, when I was writing, I did come close to the 40, 000 word count which a publisher sets for a novel. Twice, I got close, but stopped short, why?
I thought what is the point of going on, when there is a good chance nobody will read the story?
I did a rough calcualtion, it is impossible to give an exact figure as writers vary how many words per page they write, to reach 40,000 words, the minimum number of pages I would need to write is about 150.
My best is the length of a novella (20,000 - 30,000 words), even that would take a mammoth effort for me these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment