The strangeness of subtitling

 There are no rules

A general guide I adhere to is pre-1950 Hindi films usually don't have any subtitles, that is mainly because they were  made for the market in India where the language is undertsood.
This is a general rule, I asked a lady who supplies me with DVDs with subtitles that I cannot buy for a film this week, saying I doubted it had subtitles as it was from the mid-50's, and she replied saying she has a copy with subtitles.
There are some films from the era which are subtitled, one of the things I like about the subtitling of the era is the subs relate to the movie, some modern subtitling I came across is more akin to people chatting online rather than linked to the movie. Other times, you will get a few words subtitles from two minutes spoken, so you need to be careful about subtitling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world