It's an funny old world

 The land of the Opera


In my search for foreign films, one thing I realized early on is that despite being the land of Opera, both in writers and performers, Italy has virtually no film industry, and what it does produce is mainly gangster movies.

For the last few days, I have been trying to think of the name of an opera.
I knew the leading character is a lady with a fierce spirit, and I knew it wasn't Carmen, I was certain the opera was set in either Spain, or Cuba, but I had difficulty in finding it.
Tonight, I found the answer to my question - no wonder I couldn't find it before - what I was looking for is Tosca, which is set in Rome.

Comments

  1. https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=italian-opera

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google “Italian opera films”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my point, those are films of Operas, not cinema films. I have 2 operas on DVD, and two on VHS (to be transferred to DVD). I'd venture a guess at least one you have not heard of.
      Tosca with Placido Domingo, filmed in the area of the play (DVD)
      Carmen with Agnes Baltsa in the title role (VHS)
      Pique Dame from the Kirov (DVD)
      The Fiery Angel also from the Kirov (VHS)
      I also have a selection from Mozart, but I am not too keen on them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world