A writer I admire

 O.Henry


American short story writer O. Henry is another writer I wished to emulate if my wishes had come true. 
Like several writers of his time, he had problems with drink. To quote the Irish poet, Brendan Behan, "I'm not a writer with a drinking problem. I'm a drinker with a writing problem."
Shortly before his popularity, O. Henry spent three years in prison for embezzling funds from the bank he was working in. He'd returned to Austin, Texas, at the time of his arrest as his wife was dying of tuberculosis.
Last month, April 2023, I obtained a set of his short stories from eBay.

Comments

  1. I want to know more about his wife and imprisonment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In July of 1896, O. Henry was charges with embezelling $854 from the First National Bank of Austin where he worked.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world