Wednesday 12 August 2020

A hot day in San Juan

 Gonzo journalism.

Today fells like the last days of the Sun newspaper of San JuanPuerto Rico as described in the book The Rum Diary bHunter S. Thompson. The heat is a dry humid heat were the the wind blows no leaves move as they are too tired.

Some people who have read my work tell me I write like Hunter, it is called gonzo publishing, a style of writing where the writer puts himself in the story as a character; this is another compliment in my world. I have been compared to other writers as my writing covers several genres. The two best compliments paid to me are I write like an American, because most of my sales are in the USA, and I think like a Jew.

I have read the book and seen the film, in my opinion, the book is far superior to the book as it conveys the tensions of the writers at the time better; like most of the writers at the time Hunter was waiting for the story which would shoot him to a contract with a big publisher. He got it, but was still considered as an outcast as his work didn't sit well as he spoke about a side of life in the USA that people didn't wish to know about, but what do you expect when you take a 16-year-old and put a gun in his hand and make him pray he gets of the war alive, rather then have him playing softball and taking his girl to the movies.

Of all the writers I have been likened to, there is only one I didn't like that is Wilkie Collins.


No comments:

Post a Comment