Saturday, 14 November 2015

Thoughts of an Indie Author

Some things worked, lots of things failed for me.

When I started, I was told it would take ten years - if not more - to get my work recognised, well we're in the second half and here are my thoughts on the first half.

Amazon
 Most people's first port of call is useless unless you have a name people can relate to items for sale. 

Apple
What can I say? With so many Ipads, and reading apps available, in the last 18 months I sold less than an e-book every quarter.

Barnes & Noble 
 B&N is my primary site for sales and is a wonderful platform for new writers. I cannot thank the site too highly for its assistance in keeping my books selling.

Draft2Digital
 D2D is the best site to use for distribution, and also the best to remove any issues you may get - these are few and far between - unlike Amazon or Kobo.

Grammarly
 My friend/editor Julia put me onto this site and I can say without a doubt that it is far superior to Word. For a marginal price increase, you get far greater value for your money and you can't believe how easy it is to use.

Kobo
 Where do I start? After nearly four years on the site, I have yet to receive payment. The site won't pay until the writer passes £10 in sales. I recently bought some of my books - to get over this issue - only to find that despite taking the money for FIVE books, my account was accredited with THREE. The missing books meant my total still hadn't reached payout level. After two weeks, the missing books are still not on my account, I did contact the site but got the runaround. 

This week I learned the site works with Smashwords, another site that has a rep for selling books and not paying the authors.


No comments:

Post a Comment