Tuesday 24 December 2013

Fallacy busting time

Over the past year or two, I have been able to break a few fallacies.

 

A)- Free reads encourage readers to buy your books -- total BS -- one of my FREE reads had over 3,000 reads and how many sales did that encourage? Zero/nil/Nada/zip

B) KDP free weekends are good for sales -- says who?-- Neither of the ones I did produced a sale and that included a weekend of my award winning book, the KDP weekend killed its ratings.

C) Anthologies help you get noticed --WRONG -- other than Peacock Writers I have work in two US anthologies which are on the ratings rise and yet neither has affected my sales.

D) Good writing sells -- wrong -- I know I am better than some writers, but because they either write fanfiction or got a celebrity boost their sales soared, while trying to make sales on my own, my books died with honour.


 There are few certainties in writing, but here they are:- If you want to get on and be noticed stroke a celeb's ego, pay for publicity, write fanfiction and most of all follow a trend and never, ever, try to be original. Ask all the people who sold books about 2012/Mayan calendar and the end of the world last year, if you don't believe me.

No comments:

Post a Comment