Tuesday 11 December 2012

Chapters for ease

Any new story
I have several dieas for this page, there are stories of varying length which may appear here as I write them.
The finished idea may go for sale from me, as I won't put the ending hers. I won't be putting them for sale online as I don't trust eBook sites, after being robbed blind by Draft2Digtal, and Smashwords, and not selling on Amazon.

The original plan for this page was to gagther the pages of my science fiction story "The Word" in one arena, so I could edit the story. Last year, I deleted all the files of the series.

This is the beginning of a steamy romance I plan to continue.

Marta de Ridder sat at her desk in her house in Selange, Southern Belgium. Being a best-selling writer gave her some privileges in her career, but she knew you couldn't buy happiness. Marta had her share of detractors and critics in her early years, and those knocks still bore scars on her confidence.
Fortune favored Marta, at the point of giving up writing, she entered one final writing contest out of desperation. The prize was a prestigious contract with a top publishing house. However, she'd never written historical fiction before - she gained her reputation writing Gothic Romances - she decided with nothing to lose to have a go. Much to her surprise, although she didn't win the contest, her entry so impressed the judges they offered her a contract.
Martas' best friend is her agent, Helena Gerhoven. Helena got offered the job of a publicist at a new firm in Liege and was on the lookout for new writers to impress her bosses. Being a fan of Martas' writing, Helena asked her if she would like to be her client for the firm.
Not sure what to make of the newcomer to the scene, the bosses at MedHis Press were a little dubious about Helenas' choice of her friend as a client, but they decided to give Marta the chance to prove herself, and they never looked back, as her stature grew so did the firm. Now MedHis is one of the most famous publishers in Liege.
Marta lives in the same house that she grew up in, but her heart was not always there. She had grown up in Selange, but she longed for the days when her family visited their lodge in the mountains. Her career meant Marta had little time for such luxuries as time off, and being a writer, even if Marta took the occasional day off work, she would still think of storylines. Often, she wondered what it would be like to be able to relax her mind and enjoy life.
From her house, Martha could see all the forest in the distance. "The high life isn't all it's cracked up to be," she thought I spend my days writing about the lives and loves of my reader's heroes and heroines and rarely get the opportunity to enjoy the gains of my work. Perhaps, after the next release, I'll take a week off to visit the lodge.
As if to remind her of her obligation to the reality of life, the phone on the desk rang, she picked the receiver up and replied, "Martha de Ridder how may I help you?"
The voice on the other end was the familiar voice of her friend, Helena, "Hi, how are you fixed for dinner next Tuesday?"
Martha thought for a while and checked her diary. Helena usually kept track of Martas' meetings, but sometimes she booked one, or two, without telling her friend. It was her way of having a little freedom, and Helena accepted the way Martha did things. Marta took a glance at her calendar, and then said, "At the moment, I am free on Tuesday, Helena, what's on your mind?"
Helena flicked through the book of addresses in front of her, and then replied, "I thought we could have a drink and a meal to discuss a new proposal that was put to me, to put to you."
Marta glanced at the treetops in her view, lost in thought for a minute, and then replied, "Yeah, I'm okay with that idea. Shall we say 8:00?."
Helena gently smiled and replied, "Let me guess, La Charbonnade."
Marta sighed, "Am I that transparent? I thought, after the next book, I might be able to take some time off, I feel jaded, and I worry that my tiredness will affect my writing, and the sales will fall drastically. I don't want to disappoint my readers."
Helena replied, "Marta, the last thing you are is obvious, that is why I enjoy being your agent as you keep me on my toes. Secondly, when have you ever let the readers down?"
Marta thought for a moment, and then replied, "Not as far as I can recall, but there's always a first time."
Helena sensed a cramp in her legs, so she stood up from her desk and took a walk around her office while she smoothed her skirt, and replied, "I can tell you, your books are selling better than ever. We have mass pre-orders for your next book, and only you know when it will be out. I know you like to keep things close to your chest, but a little warning would be nice. That way, we can book some promotional tours to coincide with the launch before you say it - I know you don't like signings. So, we're okay for 8:00 at La Charbonnade next Tuesday, be there, or be square," Helena quipped as she put the phone in her office on the cradle.
No sooner had Marta put her phone down than it rang; she replied to the caller, "Hello, Marta de Ridder, can I help you?
A man's voice replied, Hello, Miss de Ridder. My name is Roger de Coster, and my firm is in need of your legal aid.
Marta was taken by surprise but quickly recovered to reply, " Mr. de Coster, you have contacted the wrong lady. You need to contact my sister, Corrie, she is the lawyer. I am a writer.
Mr. de Coster made his apologies and replaced his receiver. Marta was still none the wiser about the call, she'd been out of contact with her sister since they had a row several years ago, and often she had thought of making peace. But, each time, she had the idea she told herself that in her mind, she had done no wrong, so why should she break the ice.

Chapter 2 - The enigmatic Mr. de Coster.
Marta's curiosity had got piqued, who is Roger de Coster, and what is the nature of his business that he needed Corrie's help so urgently? Having lost contact with her sister, Marta had no idea of the world and people that her sister was mixing in. Even as a child, Corrie appeared to live in a world of her own, Corrie made no friends, unlike her two older sisters, Marta and Anjetta.
All day, Marta puzzled over who Roger de Coster was and how did Corrie fit in his plans. The more she thought about the situation, the more convinced she was that her sister was getting involved in something either illegal or beyond her capability to understand the ramifications of her actions. Marta's concerns grew the longer she pondered the question. Surely, Corrie wouldn't break the law, but then again. They'd been out of touch for so long, what did Marta know about her sister?
Late in the evening, when she could bear the strain no more, Marta phoned Helena at home.
Helena's phone showed a number she knew, so formality was not needed to start a conversation; "Hello, Marta, something must be on your mind as I can't recall you ringing me at home, or this late before, what is wrong?"
"That is the question, Helena; I am not sure there is a problem; I am just curious if you know something about a man called Roger de Coster?"
"The only de Coster that I can think of is the chairman of the firm de Coster, Robert, Goebbers, and van Velthoven, in Ghent, why do you ask?"
"This afternoon, I had a strange call from Mr. de Coster asking to speak to my sister, Corrie. So, what does the firm sell?"
Helena gave a short laugh, then replied, "Oh dear, you do need to get out, Marta. They've been in the news almost every day for the last month. They are involved in a takeover bid for one of the largest motor contracts in our country in over two decades."
Marta rose for her desk; she began to feel her back again, "Oh, so there is little possibility that Corrie is involved in something illegal; I am pleased to know that. As for the break, I am hoping to get a respite break after we've signed the deal next month, I am hoping to visit both Madrid and Lisbon before flying home."
Helen smiled, then replied, "I don't know your sisters, but from what you told me; I'd say you were the most likely to get involved in something dubious as you're the gambler among the children of the family."
"That is true, Helena. Anjetta is too logical to consider the possibility of risking winning against losing, and Corrie is so pedantic to be untrue. Even if you told her she was on to a good thing, she would need to see the finances for the last year, and then, she'd turn her nose up at any opportunity to make a profit."
"Now I have eased your mind over Corrie, what are your plans for the trip?"
"We'll fly from Bruges to Barcelona for the conference. After that, I believe you'll be returning, but I will travel to Madrid as I have something I wish to visit in the area; Spain's ghost airport. After a day or two in the city, I'll be crossing to Lisbon for a week before returning."
"Did you say we'll be flying? I thought you were afraid to fly!"
"You are right; I do hate the thought of flying, but not as much as I detest the idea of driving for a day each way. I realize the journey is only 12 hours long, but we'd need a rest during that time, and as I have not driven at night for years, I don't wish to risk an accident."
"I agree, there is no point in getting there and feeling upset, that will only cause us problems when it comes time for signing the contract, and I know how obstinate you can be if you are feeling wronged, Marta."
"It's not only that; I think I need an eye test soon, I can't focus to type for longer than a few minutes before I get a headache. What I think I'll do is take a few days off before we fly to Barcelona so that I can clear my mind. I need to go get out and breathe for a while if this deal comes off."
Before Marta could finish, Helena interrupted and said, "I'll have none of this IF business, the deal is a done thing, the signing is only a formality and to let you get seen outside Belgium."
Helena could tell Marta was feeling cornered. She began the next conversation after she laughed by saying, "Okay, Miss Gerhoven, when this deal is signed, and I have got back from my vacation, I have the feeling I will be rushed off my feet for orders."
"Will that be a problem?"
Marta paused as she thought of what she planned for the trip to her cottage in the Ardennes, then said, "In some ways, yes, as I wanted to take some time to get my cottage back in shape before the hiking season begins."
"I'm sure we can permit our rising star to have a few days off to deal with her other business affairs."
Marta laughed and replied, "Oh, Helena, you make it sound as though I have a big business plan. All it involves is a lodge with a bed and some blankets for the hikers to feel welcome. This year is my first year running the project, so I have no idea if there will be any business. Anyway, I expect to be back before you realize I have gone. I'll have to love you and leave you, Helena, until Tuesday, see you later.
Marta put the phone in her pocket and walked down the hall to the door leading to the garage. Her mind was thinking of the list of items she would need for the lodge when she bumped into the door, "Merde'," she muttered as she turned the key in the lock.
Marta opened her car door and sat in the driver's seat, she reached down to choose a CD for the short drive to the lodge but changed her mind when she felt her head throbbing.
Marta hadn't been on the road long when a storm broke, and the rain poured. Never one to walk from the rain, she opened her window to feel the midday coolness the storm brought, then she realized there was another aroma in the air, she took in a breath then sighed, "You can't beat the scent of pine in the air to invigorate your soul."
She decided to stop at Dohan on her way to pick up some food for her short stay, while she was walking back from a store, Marta thought she saw a young man look her way, and wink at her. "Mmm, you seem nice, what a shame you probably have a girlfriend.


No comments:

Post a Comment