Why did I stop watching the British Superbike Series?

 I am a motorcycle fan

I had watched motorcycle racing since before the BSB races began in the late 80's, so why did I stop watching in 2002?
There are several reasons, most men who watched the BBC series would list the loss of Suzy Perry as a commentator as one of the reasons, I won't deny her loss was a factor, but there were other matters to.
The series charm for me was it was a series for British riders which was held in the UK. While FI gets all the publicity, and money, motorcycle racing was always the poor man's sport.
Other reasons include the change of the commentators, Barry Nuttley, though never a racer was knowledge about racing, and passed this to his reporting. Both Steve Parrish, and Roger Marshall were British championship winners in their days as racers, and raced for factories in the Isle of Man TT. After 2003, the young boys who were doing the talking carried no experience, and were just doing a passionless task. Also, the format changed radically, from being a short show mainly on the racing, to being more like a teen chat show with little content.

At this time, the series format changed to, now it is run as a combined event, rather than a two-race event.
One thing which concerned me, other than the amount of foreign riders entering the series was the trend for some riders who were struggling to win, to attempt to kick their opponent of their machine, akin to the Japanese in the 1970's film Rollerball. These men put their lives at risk racing cheek-to-cheek, they don't need the worry of "if I pass him, will he try to kick me off."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world