Tuesday 19 March 2024

Not Whitby

 Mousehole


A copy of this oil painting hung in my parent's house for decades' I love the painting, the frame could have been nice if it had been varnished, not given a coat of white gloss paint.
Each time I viewed the painting, I tried to think where in Whitby it could have been painted, I hvae been to Whitby many times; I had an uncle who lived there.
No matter how I tried I couldn't revall a sight like this in Whitby - I'm not suprrises - when my mother died, and the painting passed to me, I had the opportunity to research the painting, and its location.

It was painted at Mousehole (prononounced Moussel) in Cornwall
No matter where it was painted, I am in awe of the men who built the gates, tose divers were many genaerations before the SCUBA equipment designed by Jacques Coustea. I was given the opportunity to go diving with a friend I had in the RAF, I politely declined. I was a good swimmer, but I have a thing about having my face covered, I can't use a face mask and snorkel.

No comments:

Post a Comment