Recycling

 Nothing new for me


Before I proceed, let me clarify my sub-title heading. I do buy some goods new, the title is to depict that while while recycling is classed as a new trend, I have been doing it since my days in college (mid-1970's). In those days, I'd go to the Army Surplus Store, which no longer exists, and buy an old jacket, for no reason other than I liked the jacket.
While somee people need to dash out and buy this years footbal shirt for their club; I prefer to hunt out shirts from thrift shops that are from unusal clubs, which I then research online to further my education. I find out where they are from, and a little of their history.
On the topic of geography, our youngest duaghter showed us a photo on Facebook that is disgraceful to me; the person was asked to pin a football badge in the area where they thought the club is from; of the 100 badges, less than 10 were correct. I admit it would be impossible not to have teams like Liverpool, and Everton - or the Manchester teams - in their correct postions as they are so close they would have a large ovrlap, but some badges were so far off I could have throen them at the map with ore accuracy.
They had put Everton where Wrexham is, North Wales, about 100 kn west of its home. You can forgive peole not knowing where Blyth is, I know as I come from close to the area, and geography used to be one of my best subjects.
They put Blackburn, which is just north of Manchester in Cumberland, the nearest club in the area is Carlisle, but where they placed the sticker is north of that clud, almsot in Scotland.
You can't always blame the student, as geography is not taught these days, wth the insistnce on IT in this era. I got my lesson when I went to Canada, over 15 years ago; I was talking to lady on the train, aneve  then her knowledge on the geography of the UK was abysmal. It doesn't help when many of the teachers are not British, and need to go to inset courses to learn English.
I have to admit, my geography is not as good as t was, that is is in part because of the changing world brought about more from the changes in politics, and religion than the countires.
A final thought on the subject, I am watching a wonderful series on Netflix called Novine, which describes the situation pefectly; one of the characters was a war hero for his country, but his party didn't win the elections, so he is being hunted as a war criminal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world