DVD or VCD?

 Running a check


This afternoon I plan to run a check on some DVDs I recently bought from eBay, why?
I played the first of the batch two nights ago, and found it was not a DVD, but a VCD.
The difference is a VCD is a copy of film taken from a video of the film, and transferred to a DVD; I used to do this years ago. For UK, USA, and Australian films this is not an issue, but as these discs are predominantly for the market in Asia, unless you can understand the language they are useless in Europe
These films are not meant to be sold outside Asia, usually India; the one I watched had subtitles, but they were hard to read as they are white, and the film has a light grey background. The subs were out of synch with the speaker. To add to my dismay, the subs ended about 10 minutes before the film; I could understand the film ending, but wished the subs had been there. I can get the film cheaply off eBay, so that is no worry.
Years ago, I purchased some films from Spain, they were a waste of money; the ones which had subs, the subs ended half way through the films.
I could ease my concerns by not buying foreign films, but I find UK TV so dull.

Result of the check-up 
I have played another DVD, it is so scratched it plays for less than 10 mins, then sticks.

Final update.
The disc I mentioned above is NOT scratched; it has a split from one side to the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world