Bondi Beach

 Water Safety


My recent post about the lack of interest in the arrival at Bondi Beach shown by a lifeguard; was mainly because, other than not being interested in Paris Hilton, the lifeguard had to watch for surfers doing stupid things, and for the dangers under the water sent by nature.

Swimmers love to go to where the surf creates white water, but while it is thrilling; it is highly dangerous. We need Oxygen to breathe, but too much can suffocate you. Most of us have done the head out of the window when driving stunt, now add the pressure of thousands of gallons of water on top of you.
Also, where the waves crash, they churn the sand up, and create deep troughs that even strong swimmers struggle to get free from; I know I had an experience like that at Swanage, Dorset when I was a teen. I didn't jump in the surf, all I did was accidentily step off a ledge; my parents were in siight, but could not help me.

The other danger is the "Blue Tide," each month, the beach is closed for several days to rid the area of Blue Box Jellyfish. They look so delcate, and pretty, yet their fronds - which can be as far away from the head as 30 feet - can be deadly, even for the helathiest person. 
There is a standard practice for stings, the initial action is to attach an ice-pack to the area, this cools the blood and slows the spread of the poison; after that, you have about 5 minutes to get medical attention at a hospital.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world