A Fishing Crisis

 A Dying Trade


There is a grave danger that the fishing trade along the coast of Yorkshire could die off.
This disaster has nothing to do with Brexit, or overfishing by foreign fishermen who disobey the rules.
The approaching disaster is caused by an overabundance of algae which is draining the sea of oxygen.
The nature of fishing has changed a great deal since I took this picture in the early 70s; back then men like my late grandfather knew what to fish, where to fish, and how much to fish to keep the stock for the next season.
Fishermen on the coast of Alaska have a different problem, octopi are devastating their crab pots, leaving only empty shells. One solution would be to put octopus on the menu - I have eaten octopus and squid - unlike some fish such as mackerel there is no strong taste, other than the inkiness of the fluid they are boiled in. 
There are lots of fish we could eat; for the value to the environment, I would add pike to the list. Pike will eat anything in the water, including small waterfowl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world