My role as a Writer

 A Social Historian

I see my role as a writer as a social historian unless I am writing a short story.

How do I see the role?
Reading my blog, you'll notice many posts that relate past events to current events. That is how I see my role.
An excellent example of this style of writing concerns Brexit, in several posts, I pointed out that the UK has been holding up the economy of Germany in the EU.
I also pointed out that both the UK and the USA have funded Germany for over a century to avoid the spread of Communism to the state.
The recent posts about Egypt, Crete, and the possibility of fake items relating to archeology in museums are comments made from viewing the evidence put before me in several documentaries. True, it is my opinion, but this is based on the evidence told to me during a documentary.

When I write fiction, some of which have an element of history involved, I try as far as possible not to press my opinions in these short stories. In these cases, I try to avoid being like authoress Sara Paretsky - one comment passed on her writing was "If I'd wanted to be preached to, I'd have gone to church."
Usually, I try to let the story tell its story through me, I did try once to direct the storyline, but I didn't like how the story went; so, I rewrote it.

Comments

  1. Very good and very interesting. Please tell us more about your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking about how I got the urge takes me back to my school days; I got told; I always tell the best stories.
      Since then, I found the urge to tell stories, though the desire to sell them only began when I became bedridden in 2011 with an ankle injury. I got stuck in bed for months. Not being a TV addict, I had to find something to do.
      I had friends who encouraged me to send them some of my work.
      The first short story I published was when I was about 16; the story was a mild, by modern standards, romance for a men's magazine in the UK.

      Over the years, I did a little writing, mainly for amusement, with nothing published until I had articles published in a music magazine in the UK. After those articles were published, I had several others printed in various magazines covering subjects as diverse as religion, Country Music, Jazz, motorcycle racing, and health foods.

      Most of the work has been unpaid freelance writing. I have written for two charity anthologies during the past decade, and I had two short stories published in a horror anthology in 2012.
      I got an article on why I gave up smoking published on Yahoo several years ago. The only other writing I got paid for was for my friend in the USA about the problems in Europe caused by the rise in the flow of Muslims before the borders with Germany being closed to travelers without documentation.

      2012 was a good year for me as a writer; it was the year I won an award for a book of short stories, and also I came third in a writing contest on Facebook with my ghost story Sea Ghosts.
      Another development was in 2014 when I launched my best-selling series of science-fiction short stories about a group of men trapped in a broken-down spaceship heading into dead space.
      The Forgestriker series is still, even if slowly, to this day and has passed over 1,000 e-book sales across the seven e-books,
      Most writers I used to know have a "comfort zone," I don't have a comfort zone; I have one or two areas I will not write about, but generally speaking, I can write on most subjects.
      I have been unable to write another success like my series. I thought the success of the series may increase sales for my ghost stories, but nothing happened.
      My earliest reputation for excellence in writing came from writing quality ghost stories, though I called mine spiritual as they were not intended to scare readers. Most of the stories were about spirits trying to cross over.
      I have several projects about India ongoing at the moment.
      Some of the people I know would class me as a best=seller, I am not one of them, though the Forgestriker has sold over 1,000 e-books ; t has been on sale for over a decade. The sales since year 5 of its life have been almost nil each year,

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world