Wednesday 25 January 2023

Indian Cinema

 Getting Noticed


Apart from issues mentioned in other posts in recent months, the links are at the bottom of this post; it has become clear to me that to be noticed in the cinema in India, there are people you need to work with.
Outside of the Kapoor family, to be seen in Hindi cinema you will need to appear with some of these actors Shah Rukh Khan, Amir Khan, Salman Khan, and Govinda.
I am not sure if Bollywood cinema has accepted what Hollywood was forced to accept in the late 1960s, that actors and actresses have the right to choose their roles.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Alan, where does your interest in India come from? I would love to hear more about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say my interest is more in foreign films, than India, per se. The life my father had after WW2, when he was in India, sparked my interest too. Before I had access to the internet, I knew there was something wrong with his version of his travel to India.
    He got on a ship to India at Liverpool, he told me he was on HMS The Empress of India and saw the ship RMS Rawalpindi sank by the Scharnhorst. This seemed odd to me even then; why would a ship going to India from Liverpool be in the North Atlantic?
    The usual course would have been down the Irish Sea, and into the South Atlantic off the coast of Spain before heading to India via the Cape of Good Hope.
    The Rawalpindi was sunk in the North Atlantic, that is historical fact, but my researches have turned up no ship named the Empress of India. There was one planned, but she never got built.
    Another thing which sparked my interest was he mentioned a little recorded incident in India, only months after the war ended when various RAF stations rebelled, The reason given was that there was a lack of ships to transport the men home - the real reason was the need to maintain a presence during the change-over.
    In no small way Conan Doyle sparked my interest too, one of the villains in a Sherlock Holmes story was an escapee from the Andamann Islands; this lead me to research the area.
    In recent times, my interest is roused as I knew there had been a Bollywood cinema for many years, but like so many people I thought it was only for musicals; it is only recently I found this to be far from the truth.

    ReplyDelete