A life in Photography

 Forget the glamorous image.


I have been asked to expand on my life as a photographer; from here on, you can forget the image of David Bailey and Lord Lichfield. They are NOT photographers, by my concept of the title.

How do you earn your living?
I have no idea; I gave up long before I could try, even though my father said I was a good photographer. That was a great compliment to my ability; my father never paid me a compliment.
If I was good, why did I give up?
The answer is easy to understand. If you can find a village to set up, you have to make your mark against the established photographer for the first five years; the next five, you try to break even, and after that, you MAY have made enough to keep going, but what are going to live on for those early years? 

Most of the B&W photos in my posts are from my collections; if you wish to find me at the seaside, go to the docks. I love to sit, watch the boats coming and going, and listen to the seagulls.
I could not have made a living as a photographer; one reason is I preferred to take nature shots and sports, not portrait pics, and that is where the money is.
The photo is in the wind and rain, not sitting in a lovely studio.
I started a course at my father's suggestion, but for the first month, we only photographed fruits.

When I joined the Royal Air Force, I continued my photography. The only time I earned a little money during those years was when I was at RAF Lossiemouth as the drama club photographer. For most of my time in the RAF, I worked in the darkroom processing films by the mile, little more than a trained monkey. 
On leaving the RAF. I continued taking photos and did sell some to a newspaper in Bridgnorth, Shropshire, after a music festival.

When you see a pressman/ lady with an enormous camera lens, remember this. They can spend hundreds of shots to get the right one to sell; as a regular photographer, you do NOT have that luxury; each shot needs to pay for itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world