Loneliness of the long distance runner

 My Sporting Days


There are ways in which I can relate to the central character in the film "Loneliness of the long distance runner." The film is based on a book by Alan Sillitoe.

Unlike him, I was not escaping from a life in borstal, I was escaping from my academic failures in school; while I was never good at short distance running I came into my own in long distance running as I could go on a run for hours, I was the same when I was swimming while my physique was a hinderance for racing it was ideal for swimming long distances.
I could never have been a contest swimmer, the main reason is you are bound by rules to turn your head every other stroke whereas I take a breath and swam until I needed to breathe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world