Immortality

  It would be a curse


I would venture that at some time, most of us have thought about immmortality, and the possibility of living for ever. I know I used to ponder the question what to answer if asked the question.

Long before I saw Mutant-X, X-Files or Futurama I had decided that being immortal was not for me, nor was cryogenics.
To me, there are no points in favour of longevity/immortality, and many against the practice.

The main thing is if you are immortal you'll lose so many loved ones during your existence that the only way to prtotect your sanity would to become solitary so you do not form a realtionship; as you know you'll outlive your partner.
If you contract a disease that to a normal person could be life-threatening, you'll have to endure this illness for all time as you cannot die even to end your suffering.

Futurama is a great animation series, but think what happened to Fry when he energed from the cryotube, he entered a world he didn't know, all his friends and family had died years ago, and he was alone.
Take a moment to consider what has happened in the last century that you would have no knowledge of. Space travel has gone from being science fiction to being so common that even when a disaster happens it only gets covered in pages 7 - 10, if it does at all, while celebrity gossip makes headlines. The Berlin wall was built and brought down, we've had two world wars, not including Korea and Vietnam.

The X-File episode about cryogenics raises the question if the brain is put into a chamber does it work, or will it stay aas it was at the point of going in?
These are not the thoughts of an old man (65); as I said I haven't been in favour of cryogenics or immortality for as long as I can recall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world