Spain's ghost airport

The boom that never happened.
Strange as this may appear, this is a true story, not one of my ghost stories.
In 2003, the Spanish government decided to go ahead with building an airport to accept any overflow from the central airport in Madrid.
At the time, it was estimated the new airport would take up to 20,000 visitors a day; at this point, the plan began to unfold rapidly. 

The building started in 2004 but was forced to halt in 2009 before the airport had seen one customer. The main issue is the new airport is over three hours by road from Madrid. Secondary to this, the airport at Madrid expanded to take in another 10,000 people a day, so making the new airport defunct.

If I were to build a new airport, I'd build it somewhere on the North coast opposite Barcelona as that side is not catered for, I realize it is not a holiday coast, but the scenery could be an attraction. It would be for me as I am more interested in the culture and history of the areas than sitting on the beach.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am offended again

Welome to my world