Monday 17 September 2018

A long time ago in another world.

I cannot tell when I came to religion.
.
I have tried to find a time when I started to believe in spirituality, but I failed.  I think it began in my early years as I was born near the sea, and have always had an affinity with the seas.

I had a resurgence in the late 1970's when I saw Billy Graham preach in Bristol. I later joined the Royal Air Force and became almost a counselor to my friends. This lead my Padre and my section Sergeant sent me on a course, at the time I thought it was because I was going through a deep personal crisis, over time I came to consider they could have seen something in me that I failed to see in my despair.

 On leaving the RAF, I returned to my parent's house in ClevedonNorth Somerset and started to go church again.  I got on well with the local vicar and his family, though I liked his daughters I never considered asking them out, I knew they were out of my league. 
It was during this time I came across the writings of a Dutch Jewish lady called Corrie ten Boom. Like Anne Frank she was forced to hide in a loft, only to be turned in a loft, only to be betrayed and captured.

No comments:

Post a Comment