Wednesday 9 December 2015

The Culture Vulture

Not for me sand and a tan

Where to look for me
 For as long as memory recalls, I have never been one for sitting on beaches or lazing by pools getting tanned - for many reasons, other than medical.

If I go somewhere, I prefer to come back with memories that will last longer than the winter. Before I was a recognised writer of ghost stories, I used to hunt out old castles, forts, and big houses to find their history and if they had any mysteries.

From Wales to Scotland and from Germany to Italy my search for a mystery is relentless. Several years ago, I almost went on holiday to Colwyn Bay in North Wales. The area is festooned with castles dating back to the late 13th Century. The trip got cancelled because the lady I was going to meet cut off contact after a trip to Greece

You will most likely find me in a museum, art gallery or local history store. I don't see the point of going on holiday if you aren't going to take advantage of the history and culture of the area - just my opinion.

I am thankful that my interest in history led me in that direction, I can - and do -use my memories for the basis for my work. I can see many places I visited in my mind's eye as I write my stories. If not directly, then with a slight poetic licence.

No comments:

Post a Comment