Friday 7 August 2015

Dreaming of jazz

Jazz on my mind


                                          In dreams
The main source of many of my short story selections used to be my dreams, but recently, I have stopped thinking of writing when I go to bed. The reason for this is I found out that Barnes & Noble, the top bookseller in the USA have been sending my ebook selection out free. This practise has cost me $80 a month for the last decade, this is more than I earn from writing in a year.

The story Ghosts of Jazz is based around a small jazz venue I used to frequent in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. The club is story is a venue in the style of the old speak easy of the 1920s. A closely packed underground room, with little light, and easily missed if you didn't know where to look. The Cheltenham International Jazz Festival is the largest of its kind in the UK. On one trip to the festival I had the pleasure of listening to Ornette Coleman. The largest British festival is the Scarborough Jazz Festival, but for family issues I would have seen Stan Tracey, Claire Martin, Clare Teal and many of the top jazz musicians in the UK perform one year. I did return to Scarborough several years later, but only to revisit a seaside town I love, tickets to the festival are sold out within weeks of going on sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment