Thursday 23 January 2014

Alan Place- Indie author


The life of an Indie Author.
When I started out, I was told it would take a decade to get recognized for my writing, well that was five years ago, and I have stopped waiting.

To get recognized is nothing short of a miracle, as publishers ignore a writer without a letter from an agent, and to get those you need recognition and money. Not to mention you need to live in America. That way, you can attend conferences. 

Being a bestseller and an award-winner means nothing as I found out. All they brought me is trouble and derision from people online who boasted about going on courses and going to university. 

To some extent, it is my fault I did not succeed. I don't post how good people consider my writing is, and I don't promote my work as hard as other writers do. I would rather paste comments from satisfied readers than say how good I am, I consider self-praise no praise. In my view, the central reason for my failure is my choice not to follow the trends and to attempt to be my voice not a copy of someone else.

1 comment: