Wednesday 14 August 2013

Under the knife

  When I was in my early thirties I had the second of my operations, this was to try and relieve my migraines caused by sinusitis. 


 There are two ways to do this; the first is to cut above the affected eye and pack the area with gauze, as I suffer from EDS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehlers%E2%80%93Danlos_syndrome this  would have left a major scar and as I have no scar over the eye, I assume the surgeons chose option 2.


 The second option is to drill the sinus through the nose and for this to be successful you need to go back at least once a year- NO way was I doing that- losing a few days is a far better option to going into surgery every year. 


 When I was in hospital I saw a sight which scared me; having been in the RAF I am not worried about seeing blood but to witness a man rise from lying down to the sitting position and to see a white smock turn blood red in a matter of seconds is not something you forget. 


 A curiosity, he was an Alan too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment