Monday 22 July 2013

Do I feel guilty?




Editing is hard,
  I have been asked a few times, "If you thought your writing was bad, would you like to know?" I have always said, "Yes," and yet I failed to notify one person that I felt his work is rubbish but that is my opinion. 
 He asked me to edit 80 pages of writing which had come back from "editing" at Xlibris - enough said - I failed to get to page 2. I had so much editing to do, I almost re-wrote the story from scratch. 
A 25 line paragraph with NO punctuation, wrong and inconsistent capitalisations, no speech mark to denote speech from narration, he didn't change lines for a change of speaker.
I got half-way through the page and already felt a migraine coming on, so I declined the editing. He recently told me he signed with Shared Pen, this is their front page 
http://www.sharedpen.com/publishing-agreement.html  you don't need to go further than page 1, line 1 to get the idea that these people have no idea of basic spelling, so how can they claim to be editors? 
Why didn't I tell him? I suppose as he was a friend, I didn't want to crush his dream - even if he has a BA - and anyway who am I to judge? My work doesn't sell either. 
 His book:- http://www.amazon.com/City-Of-Secrets-ebook/dp/B005DENGT0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374502055&sr=1-1&keywords=Lotalrio+K+Cooper+City+of+Secrets


The anser to my question is No.
The reason is he got a contract, even though his writing in rubbishy.

No comments:

Post a Comment