Tuesday, 26 February 2013

The Queens leave home


 
Picture
Queen Mary
Picture
Queen Elizabeth

My memory is almost infallible, this story will demonstrate this matter.


 October 31, 1967 - a young schoolboy had the experience of a lifetime. I was privileged to be in Southampton at the last sailing from the UK of two of the worlds first super liners; Queen Mary & Queen Elizabeth. This glorious sight stayed with me for my life, never had I seen such glorious ships. 


 Both ships had a glorious war record as troop carriers/ hospital ships, as they could out run any German surface vessel.


 During this time, there was another image which has been imprinted on my mind, this is of a large glass ball approximately four feet in diameter bounded by brass rings, standing in front of an office block. I wanted to know if it is still there, alas, as I can no longer travel; this is something I will never know. I have contacted the tourist information, but being such a long time ago, I doubt if there is any information or record of the ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment