Saturday 19 August 2017

More free Fantasy to read

Shandra 
This is the continuing story of Shandra; this segment continues from  https://disqus.com/home/discussion/channel-writingworld/shandra_revisited/
Shandra looked around, trying to find where the sound of rushing water was coming from but all she could see was a rock face. “Oh great Flamendor, where is the water, all I see are the crystals of your home?”
The wise old dragon yawned and stretched his tired wings before replying, “Shandra, you are wise to ask, for not all who have passed through the cave system have found the water they seek. You were bright enough to reason that a battle in the open would result in the loss of your tribe, so you pulled back to a situation in which you had the advantage. Now is the time to open your mind to what lies ahead but what you cannot see at a glance. If you look to your left, there is a green crystal, if you look in the crystal, you will see the location of the lake from which the water flows. The entrance to this lake is at your feet. You can take what you need to refresh your body and soul, the journey you have ahead is long and dangerous, you will be tested to the extremes of your ability, but you will discover a new source of energy to power you in mind and body.”
She did as she’d been told and looked in the crystal, in the reflection Shandra saw a beautiful city set on a mountaintop with streams flowing down either side of the precipices. To her, this city looked too good to be true, She asked, “Where is this place, Flamendor?”
Flamendor replied, “The place you are viewing is the city of Kaldoran, the last of the magnificent cities of the Kaldor Empire. An empire that for millennia was ruled by one family. The family died off about a hundred years ago, and now the empire is nothing more than a few outposts like Kaldoran spread out across a wasteland, none know of the existence of the others.”
Puzzled, she enquired, “If there are so many, how come they don’t know about each other?”
With a sigh, the dragon replied, “It is to the shame of the dragon brotherhood that one of our kind flies the skies and is keeping the people apart.”
Shandra said with an air of intrigue, “I thought you stated that you were the last of your kind, Flamendor?”
Tired eyes looked out from under tired eyebrows, as he raised his head and replied, “I am the last of my kind, Shandra. The one who flies the skies is another breed, sadly a type of dragon that is beginning to flourish again and bringing terror to the cities. If they are not stopped, the land will be turned to ashes, and all will be lost.”
There was a pause as she let the discovery seep in, then Shandra commented, “If I am right, you want me to lead my men to fight these dragons. How do you know I will be up to the task if I choose to tackle this journey?”
Flamendor replied, “The choice is yours to make, Shandra. All I can do is ask you to take the trip, after that, it is up to you. By withdrawing your men to a place of safety before launching your attack, you proved clever and adaptable enough to handle what I ask of you. You have shown you are able to think on the move and change your strategy to suit the enemy’s weakness, this is something you would need if you chose to go on.”
Shandra smiled, then approached the second part of the problem she saw ahead, “If, and that is a big if, I chose to go on I would have to tell my men what we would be up against. How do you know they would follow me, this journey appears long, and some may not return from it?”
He smiled, and replied, “I would expect no less, a real leader feels strong enough to tell the men what they will face and let each man make his choice according to his situation. You will have those who will not go on because they have families, and some will continue because being alone they have nothing left to lose. In the end, you can only ask for their support and hope you receive it.” Flamendor paused, then spoke again, “I won’t rush you to answer but time is short. For now, I suggest you bathe and rest as the decision you make will affect many lives, and relaxed body is the best way to have a sound mind.”
Shandra turned from the cave face and saw a pool of clear water, in the pool she saw her reflection; tired from the fighting, sweaty and streaked with the blood of her foes. She asked the reflection “What shall I do if I accept I could be sentencing my men to death; if I refuse will Flamendor’s opinion of me be changed. If I refuse how will my people see me, will I be considered weak for not accepting a challenge, or wise for not risking the future of our tribe on what could turn out to be a mission too dangerous to take on?”

No comments:

Post a Comment