Monday, 14 December 2015

The moral decline of the world

Voice of a dinosaur
Rather than go offline, I decided to do less blogging.

Online friends
Many years ago, my online lady friends used to call jokingly me a dinosaur, because I had a code of ethics and unlike many men, I didn't think a lady online was looking for a date - I always treated women with respect - even if it wasn't always reciprocated. 

An out-dated ethical code
As usual, my online research leads me far from where I started.
Today, I began to look at images of "Gone with the Wind," I was going to a post about the decline of my writing linked to a picture of Tara in flames. I started to look at images of "Gone with the Wind," I was going to a post about the decline of my writing linked to a picture of Tara in flames.

I ended up reading about Pre-Code films. These were films made after the end of the silent era when studios had no control over publicity and immorality was openly shown. Drug use, prostitution, and wanton violence were the main themes before the Catholics began a campaign to control how films and books were publicized.

Reading about the use of sex to sell a film reminded me of how far we've sunk since then. I'm no prude and don't object to having sex in my stories, but these days it appears to me that the only way to get anywhere is to use sexual images to promote the story.

Sadly, I made the decision if this is what is needed, I shall have to comply with the standards of the world we live in rather than rely on my moral compass. The compass has held me back over the years, as much as I find the practice wrong, if I get offered the opportunity to promote somewhere I've never been, I will seriously consider the option. I can make as much with one article as I can writing my stories for several months.

Having a moral compass is fine if the compass is set in reality. My compass is set in an age that will never return. I feel like the character Adam Adamant -in the series of the same name  http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/517661/ - an Edwardian gentlemen who returned from being frozen in time to the Swinging 60's, and was out of sync with his values in the modern world.

Not quite Fry waking up in a cryogenic pod in  http://www.cc.com/shows/futurama


Sex sells
So I am told.





No comments:

Post a Comment