Saturday, 5 September 2015

Did anthologies help me?

A popular theory

The concept
 Some people will tell you that having work in anthologies increases your exposure - this is true. Other people expound the theory this exposure increases your chances of selling - this may be true - but it never helped my books sell.

The Peacock Writers
I am proud to be a member of this charity writers group http://hereiamattheedge.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-peacock-writers.html#.VerZJCgViko Twice a year we bring out a paperback for children's charities. 

 Angels Cried 
 Two and a half years ago, I was asked by a group of indie writers to write for the charity book Angels Cried. Our aim was to help the survivors of the Sandy Hook massacre in some small way. This book was number 1 in the children's section of Amazon for several weeks that Christmas.

Comicon 2012
 Prior to Angels Cried I had work put in a book sold at Comicon 2012. The book was published by Indie Book Lounge; despite having work in this book it took me a year to track it down on Amazon. The editor Alan Schneider stopped contact as soon as I requested some copies. 

Facebook 
Later in 2012 I entered a writing contest on Facebook, at the time two fellow writers put forward the idea of a joint project. By the end of the contest, the project was forgotten, they came second and third in the contest - I was pushed to fourth. They got work offers, and I was left in the cold feeling what was the point in going on?

Booktrap
 None of these anthologies helped me in the slightest. The best help I got was from my friends Jesamine James, Paula Shene, Catherine Lenderi, and a few others in the Facebook group The Booktrap during October 2014. 
It was Jes's relentless Tweeting which helped my series  http://hereiamattheedge.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/forgestriker-collection.html#.VerdnSgViko become the great success it has been over the last 18 months.



No comments:

Post a Comment