Tuesday, 30 June 2015

The early days

6 months into the year

Jan- July, and beyond

The good
 Forgestriker became the first book to sell 10 copies in a month, as the series http://hereiamattheedge.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/forgestriker-collection.html#.VZKE0XqUzGc continues to thrive, and I hoped Sons of Baal night have joined it, SoB needs one sale to be the second books to sell 10 copies in a month. 
A greater variety of my work is beginning to bet bought, which pleases me as much as the vast sales from the series. 
After the failure of my last novella - A Sailor's Love - I gave up writing for several months, as doubt and depression set in. I always said you get three strikes, as in baseball before you're a non-seller, and ASL was my third strike. The good news is I finally came around to believing in myself, with the help of two close friends.

The bad
When the year started I hoped to impress the editors of The Black Library, and get a chance to have my work in the Warhammer collection at http://www.blacklibrary.com/ . Unfortunately, my eagerness overcame my ability to write, and in submitting a sub-standard piece, I blew my only chance. 
 At the same time, I sent a short story to the BBC with the hope of getting it read on the radio, despite being praised, the story didn't make the cut- Lifeboat Heroes - now hangs loose on my shelves at Draft2Digital https://www.draft2digital.com/book/ .

The intermediate
Sales have been reasonable, even if most of the sales are for the series, and over half for Forgestriker (the book). This prospect leads me to write more Sci-Fi, but I'm also trying to find new areas to sell e-books in. I don't intend to stay still. I am a writer, not a genre-writer.

What am I writing next
 I'm continuing with my work on the omnibus edition of the popular series, this won't just be a copy of the stories bonded for more sales. I'm adding stories, and extending the ones you know and like. 
 I plan to do a variety of stand alone stories to, some including horror as Akuji - Lord of the Underworld, others like Two lives for freedom will be mysteries.
 I also hope to work on my fantasy story Mordhiemicus, this will be an on going project- the story is already 30,000 words long - and needs as much added to the short stories, as already exists in order to make it readable.

No comments:

Post a Comment