Saturday, 26 April 2014

A World of links

Before we get under way, I wish to clear misconceptions formed by a recent US study. I do read female authors -- the sex of the writer bears no relationship to what I read -- and I don't only read high action stories. 


 The point is made clear in this blog. I recently started Life Class by Pat Barker, having previously read Toby's Room. The background to the fictional story is based on a real group of friends who went to Slade School of Art, one of whom was Vernon Ward who painted the picture of Mousehole. A print which holds a fascination for me. 


 One of the students at the time in question was Ben Nicholson, who a few years later moved to Cornwall and formed the St. Ives School of Art. St. Ives is not far from Mousehole, and I have a friend who lives not far from the area too.
 Ms. Barker was born in Thornaby-on-Tess, not 10 miles from where I was born. Her books tell of the struggle of men returning to life after WW1, and the beginning of modern plastic surgery. My WW1 ghost story  https://www.draft2digital.com/book/32122 tells of the social impact the war forced on people.

No comments:

Post a Comment