Friday, 7 February 2014

Thoughts of an Indie author

As with most occupations there are ups, downs and in between portions, these are a few of my thoughts on the subject of being an Indie Author. Please remember they are my thoughts and are in no way indicative of all Indie Authors.

Ups:-
I am able to write what I want and don't feel forced to write what the market dictates, which is good as I am unable to write about cheap sex or zombies to any length.

I can write when I wish as I have no publication deadlines beyond ones I set myself, on that subject I am behind on my latest story.

I can choose covers which I feel are fitting to my work, rather than being forced to accept covers from designers who have neither read my work or know what I am looking for.

I can choose the price the book sells at, this is good because I have read stories from friends in the USA. Who say their publishers have charged too much and killed any chance of sale.

Downs:-
 Without a distribution network gained from having an agent, I have to do my own promotions -- not that I object too much, I was good at doing once -- but it takes time off from writing and there is no guarantee of a sale.

Being disabled I cannot afford even the smallest amount for promotions, so, rely heavily on the internet sites I use. 

Having little money I cannot afford even the lowest prices for good cover work which may -- or may not -- increase the chance of sales. A good cover starts at around $75 and when you only make $5 a month that is a lot of outlay to recover before seeing money back.

With not having a vast range of contacts I don't have a lot of chance of work being seen and selling.

In the middle:-
 Having no agent can be a drawback but as I have witnessed, they don't know all the right areas to promote and I can pick a few off beat ideas.

As I don't pay out a lot -- any money I get is a bonus -- no matter how small the amount and I don't need to repay debts accrued. 

As I tend to work long and late hours, this practice has lead to me becoming a worse insomniac than I was and many nights I work through to the early morning.

VERDICT
 It's hard work being an Indie and doing all your own promotional duties but you don't feel obliged to anyone other than yourself and a few friends. Best of all for me, I have reached the point where sales are not my focus, the writing has resumed its importance and I enjoy writing for the first time in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment