Friday, 3 January 2014

Hard or soft?





There are two main schools of thought in selling and it is up to the writer which they choose, both have advantages and disadvantages and again it's up to the writer to know how they feel at the end of the day; I will let you know my answer at the end of the post.






 The Hard Sell- This is a technique where the author uses all possible means to direct pitch by as many book links as they can to as many varied outlets as they can find, basically, my book is best because...
 To some extent this is very good as the vendor knows you are hitting hard and fast and you may get the sales you require, but on the other hand it can work against you for the same reason -- consider TV ads -- how many people make a coffee or sandwich during the breaks? Also, by knowing what is coming some people might ignore you -- I know I used to -- when I saw certain people post blogs.

 The Soft Sell- This technique involves gently coaxing the buyer to the book, either by interesting excerpts/posts about stories and not pushing the books. The advantage here is the reader feels involved in the story and you are taking time to make them feel they are wanted and not just some sales ploy. You might not get a sale, but there is more chance when the reader is interested in the story than when you push a book in their face at every opportunity -- I know if somebody tries to force me to buy or read a book they have no chance -- hence my reluctance to read the mass of zombie stories available.



 One of the main things I like about this blog is that it allows my to place my images anywhere I wish in the blog, and by doing so this keeps the format changing and the readers interested.

 For an example of the success or lack of such, I'll compare two of my e-books.

 "Chronicles of Mark Johnson"  won an award in October 2012 and for several months afterwards I pitched the book on line every week. Later, after stopping the pitching for a while I continued in the hope that the second book in the series -- which came out in June 2013 -- might promote sales. The result of the hard sell was nothing. I did direct pitch to some friends and all to no avail, other than giving me a bad taste in my mouth for using the tactic.

 Scientist have run tests and it is a proven fact, people are more receptive to messages if their minds are relaxed -- hence people learn while listening to music -- in the late 1960's US TV started putting ads in shows towards the breaks and sales rocketed.

 "Holding Richmond"  is my Amazon best seller and other than posting about its constant success and my amazement that it keeps selling, I have not had to Hard Sell HR as the book sold itself.

 I said I would give you my answer and here it is:- Although the hard sell could have resulted in more sales -- not yet proven to me -- I prefer the soft approach as I don't feel upset at having forced a book on a reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment