Tuesday, 28 January 2014

From a lost schoolgirl to a lost sailor

Officially, I have always said my first story was "The Ghost of St. Mary's,"    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ERVQA9I  the story of the trapped spirit of a Victorian schoolgirl which has become this month's best selling story was fictional but there were some facts too. In the graveyard I mention, there is a small unmarked grave and the platelets are named after somebody -- who I never found out -- that would have been research I would have done the following year, if my tendon hadn't snapped.









My big success -- if not in sales -- was "Chronicles of Mark Johnson,"  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BEDMSO the story of the flawed hero fighting spectral images won an award for me and the occasional sale keeps returning my Amazon horror story back in the top 2,000 on the US site, no mean feat for a story which has not sold well.

 There is an unknown common link between these stories as Scarborough is the setting for both. In "The Ghost of St. Mary's" I mention the city by name as the story is based in and around my experiences of the last visit I made to the area. However, in "Chronicles of Mark Johnson" I have based Mark's home town of Scarmby-on-the-Sea on my recollections of the town and have used this as a backdrop. In book 3 -- if I write the story -- Mark moves to Bridlingham which was to have been based around another town in the area, Whitby. But we will have to see if the book comes out as book 2 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BO04Y20 has yet to sell, despite another great review by Fran Lewis from New York and Julia, my editor, saying it is a dark and menacing story which depicts the mental breakdown of a man's soul and is better than the original.

 I return to my roots in "A Sailor's Love" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVHY6PU  as again the book is based in and around the North Yorkshire coast I grew to love -- even if we moved when I was 8 -- in my sea stories this area of rugged coast line is featured a lot as I knew the area and its coves and tides from having a fishing family background.

 Up the coast from Whitby lies the town of Saltburn-on-the-Sea, this was the main pirate haunt of John Andrew AKA "Mad Jack." As I said earlier, he is the only true character I have used in a story; the story "The Lost Ship" is featured in "Sea Ghosts,"  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088QPW92 along with the original short version of "The Love of the Sea" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZ84216which later became "A Sailor's Love," and hopefully will at some time in the future have a new life as a new horror story "The Rise of the Prospero."


 To return to my original thought pattern, as I said it is generally accepted that "The Ghost of St. Mary's" was my first story, and yet it wasn't. True, it was the first on general release but almost two years prior to that date I was writing stories for a lady in South Carolina. Eva Ball was her name and she said my erotica was so good that she could orgasm reading it -- truth or fiction -- how am I to know? Anyway, I was writing stories for Eva before I went to Scarborough and started on "St. Mary's." 

 Eva was to become a part of a story which I will never (!) release, the reason is that the story is so personal I almost didn't finish it. This story was written as a farewell to my lovely friend Faye Dupre' and writing the story I become so emotionally attached to our characters separating that I almost had a nervous breakdown reliving Faye's death.



No comments:

Post a Comment