Friday, 15 March 2013

Music festivals

 One of the great losses I feel since my injury, is that I won't be able to get back to Cheltenham, either for a day out or to see a concert. These were two of my lasting pleasures, I wrote a short story about the jazz festival called "The Ghosts of jazz." However, the last jazz festivals I went to left me cold, modern jazz lacks feeling to me, there are no mournful trumpet solos like Miles Davis used to do, one of his best in my opinion was for the French film "Elevator to the Gallows."





    I always wanted to go and see the Classical music series, which begins in June. One of my first tapes was Schubert's "Wanderer" fantasy, my late Aunty Mabel bought it for me in Southampton and since then, it has always been a favourite of mine.



 I had always wanted to hear Alfred Brendel play the works, but owing to somebody owing me money and not paying the debt, I missed the chance. Alfred Brendel no longer tours and another dream got lost. The most annoying part was that the Russian violinist Viktoria Mullova, rarely (if ever) visits the UK, her last appearance was at the London jazz festival over 20 years ago. Three years ago, she visited Bristol and because of these people, I missed an extremely rare chance, that will never return :(


No comments:

Post a Comment