Tuesday 5 February 2013

A novel idea


When Chronicles came out in June of 2012, some of my friends asked me. If I had thought of expanding the stories and writing a novel?  I hadn't because according to some sources the word count is over 90K, and at the moment I am not sure if I can go that high. A year ago, I was doing short story contests and thought reaching 7,500K was beyond me.





 Mordhiem has already exceeded Chronicles and Hunted Down by 5K, and I have still a long way to go, so who knows where it may end? I am hoping somewhere around 30K.













I view Chronicles and the Hunted down multi-pack as a series of short interlinked stories on a theme. Imagine them as a series of charms on a chain. However, Hunted Down stories are continuous; Chronicles can be read as individual linked ideas.

 If you get the Hunted Down series, you will note there is a strange ending to the stories, this is because I feel there are two endings available: - One is for the fans I know will read the stories, and the other is for more general readers, and the end is governed by sales. While writing Hunted Down, I found myself getting drawn more into the story as I wrote it and in the end, I had to curtail the story, as I didn't know whether to go on or to finish Patti's story.

 The latest on book 2 of Chronicle is my editor Julia is impressed with the way I am going and how I describe Mark's mental collapse. While she is still confident that there will be sales for book 2, for my part: - the jury is out on the issue. When I started book 2 in 2011, it was designed as a personal release for tensions. When I was writing the original stories, friends I sent them to, were apprehensive about my mental state. I have to admit, even though I wrote them and knew what was happening to Mark and Annette; they did give me bad dreams. Some nights I had to stop as I found myself being drawn across the dark void between right and wrong. This effect also happened in Hunted Down, in the latter stages when Patti is at the motel.

No comments:

Post a Comment