Saturday, 1 December 2012

A great honour

        This being the month of December, reminded me that Chronicles was entered in a nation wide writing contest in the USA. I had forgotten about this until last week - I was asked so long ago that entries had to be in by the end of May - this time last year I said I would not enter any more contests, I had gone gone contest mad during the latter part of 2011 and entered contests so often that I forgot what I had entered.
       
         This year, the only ones I did enter were the one ran by my friend Erika, which has just ended and the one coming to its close now. I don't count the ones on the soon to be defunct German site at Bookrix.

         The honour of which I speak is that the contest now ending is run by a group and the judges are all members of MENSA. I know I don't have much hope of getting anywhere, but it was still a great honour to be asked to enter by such a high profile group of people. This contest carries not only the possibility of the award but the contest is watched by editors and published and the winners will be televised on line.

          It does raise an interesting point or two in my mind. First, how did I come to their notice - I am not a member of MENSA, although I did consider applying many years ago - my book sales are not significant enough to get noticed on Amazon.

         As the judges are from MENSA what did they see in my writing, they are far more intelligent than I am, and my grammar is seriously lacking, a problem that I am getting help with.

         I know the story is not the usual type of book you would find, unless you are looking for the likes of H.P. Lovecraft, but it did have some on line following and thanks to the new magazine indiePENdents.org has won an award already.


No comments:

Post a Comment